1st Holy Communion
“I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” John 6:51
In the holy Eucharist we reach the high-point of our lives as Catholics for we receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Preparation for First Holy Communion involves parents, children and catechists, growing together in their knowledge and love for Jesus in the Holy Eucharist.
“O Sacrament Most Holy, O Sacrament Divine, All Praise and All Thanksgiving Be Every Moment Thine.
Mass times to be announced
Please check back for more information regarding 2022 First Holy Communion.
Preparation and practices for families:
Preparation for the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion requires two years of faith formation. If First Holy Communion is received in the second grade, the child must have attended both first and second grade.
Families are highly encouraged to make their participation at Sunday Mass and Holy Days of Obligation the central aspect of their child’s sacramental preparation. Parents are also asked to participate by:
- Praying with your child, and helping your child memorize prayers. (Please see the booklet of “Basic Catholic Prayers and Lists” for First through Eighth Grades available on the parish website.)
- Attending required parent meetings.
- Attending required retreats with your child, if planned.
- Working with your child to complete homework assignments (or check that homework is complete and accurate). Please let the catechist know if you have questions or difficulty.
- Ensuring your children arrive to class prepared and on time each week and remain for the entire class period
Dress for First Communion
Girls should wear a white dress with sleeves, white socks or stockings, and white shoes. They may also wear a veil or a wreath of flowers on their heads. Please do not bring gloves or a purse to Mass.
Boys should wear dress slacks with a jacket or a suit, a collared dress shirt with a tie, and dress shoes.